Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Floating Forward

One of my mantras is "keep moving forward" - an admonishment to not let setbacks and obstacles forestall progress. It also happens to be pretty good advice for whitewater rafting, where a failure to "go with the flow" can have consequences to life and limb. Thankfully there is little chance of getting physically injured through failure to keep up with law school classes - but nonetheless, the mantra is apt. A failure to keep up the pace in law school can quickly lead to disaster.

It is still to early for me to hope to offer any great insights into the law school process, but I can at least see that setting a steady and deliberate pace is a key to success, and that maintaining balance in life between school and other areas is a key to maintaining sanity. So far that means rafting and biking on the weekend, occasional running during the week, and playing gigs with my band, WalkFast. Not to mention keeping up with my close personal relationships as well.

I'm also working on a theory that I can be more productive in law school by adding a few "non-class" activities to my law school agenda. One of these is serving as "Pod Representative" to the Student Bar Association of the school. This should be a great opportunity to engage in politics, legislative action and networking, while also adding another item to the law school resume. I also have taken on official duties as a blogger for the school.

Blogging about snowboarding proved to be a major help in finding work in the ski industry, and blogging about law school clearly has the potential to open up new possibilities in the realm of legal employment. Will my status as an official blogger impress potential employers? Maybe not, but it seems to me it can't hurt, and since I'm having fun doing it, there doesn't seem to be much downside.

So keep an eye out for me on the Lewis & Clark Law School snapshots blog. Just one more way I hope to keep afloat as I go with the flow at Lewis and Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment